Sunday, March 1, 2009

January 23

Daily Bible Reading: Exodus 17, 18, 19; Psalm 23, 52, 82, 113, 143; Proverbs 23

“But Moses' hands were heavy; and they took a stone, and put it under him, and he sat thereon; and Aaron and Hur stayed up his hands, the one on the one side, and the other on the other side; and his hands were steady until the going down of the sun.” Exodus 17:12

I love this passage of Scripture. I remember being asked to preach at the church we attended years ago. I was thrilled! My text was from yesterday’s devotional verse. My topic and title was simply, “Go Forward”. To this day, many years later, it is one of my top five favorite messages from God.
The personal illustration that I used and still use is the reason it is one of my favorites. I called our pastor to the front and asked him to stand in front of the communion table. I exhorted myself and others of his role as pastor and leader. Then, I called two men from the congregation to take our pastor by the hand; one man on each side, and hold up his hands while I read this portion of Scripture. In my mind’s eye, I can still see them standing there like it was happening again, right now, tears and all.
You and I should be involved in this same kind of ministry as Aaron and Hur. We need men, women, boys and girls who will make themselves available for this ministry. What an encouragement to your pastor and church. In know I need people to be “prayer warriors” on my behalf and I am certain they do also.
There is a group, “Three Bridges”, who perform a song titled, “Dear Captain”. It is a great song about praying for our President. I don’t know how really Biblical all the words are, but I am humbled to tears every time I listen to it.
Friend, we must hold up the hands of others in prayer and beseech them to do the same for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment