Today's reading: Genesis 37, 38, 39; Psalm 13, 43, 73, 103, 133; Proverbs 13
Genesis 37:28, "Then there passed by Midianites merchantmen; and they drew and lifted up Joseph out of the pit, and sold Joseph to the Ishmeelites for twenty pieces of silver: and they brought Joseph into Egypt."
The first month of the year 2010 is almost half over. Time rushes by so quickly, it seems. I looked at our son last night and it seems as if only the other day we were bringing him home from the hospital. Now he is nearly a foot taller than his mother. Wow! I know it does not take much but still.
We are thankful for our son even though he has special needs. We would not trade him for a dozen that do not have special needs. God has, is and will use this in our lives to conform us into the image of Christ. I admit that there are days that I would like to just run away but then he comes home from school and I look into his eyes and his face and I realize that I was wrong for thinking that.
So many children today are being needlessly slaughtered before their precious lives can barely start. Some children are being sacrificed at the altar of pleasure. Some children are being sacrificed at the altar of career. This list could go on and on; but, you get the point.
I was struck by our verse today when I was reading the phrase, "...and sold Joseph to the Ishmeelites for twenty pieces of silver:". I thought how cheap life was to the brothers of Joseph. Now twenty pieces of silver in those days could have been a lot of money to them. Still, they were selling their own flesh and blood for "twenty pieces of silver". Human life is far more valuable than that. It is absolutely, positively, priceless.
I was reminded of someone else who was sold cheap also. Matthew 26:15, "And said unto them, What will ye give me, and I will deliver him unto you? And they covenanted with him for thirty pieces of silver." Here we see Judas selling out the Lord Jesus Christ for thirty (30) pieces of silver. How could he do such a horrible thing to the One who loved him so much. I believe it was pretty simple, myself. We do it all the time. Oh, we don't deliver Him to die on Calvary's cross; but, we do it. I am sorry to say that I am just as guilty as anyone else. I need not try to comfort myself in the fact that I have not sold Him to be crucified. Right? I was not there.
The truth is I am guilty of selling out for a few pieces of silver so to speak. If you will take an honest look at yourself you will see that you have also. It is our sin that has sold Jesus out. Plain and simple. Jesus died on the cross to pay the debt I owed because of my sin and I sold Him out. You can be forgiven and have eternal life if you will only trust Him. Would you trust Him today for the forgiveness of your sin? I hope so.
No comments:
Post a Comment