Today's reading: Deuteronomy 13, 14, 15; Psalm 26, 56, 86, 116, 146; Proverbs 16
Deuteronomy 15:17-18, "Then thou shalt take an aul, and thrust it through his ear unto the door, and he shall be thy servant for ever. And also unto thy maidservant thou shalt do likewise. It shall not seem hard unto thee, when thou sendest him away free from thee; for he hath been worth a double hired servant to thee, in serving thee six years: and the LORD thy God shall bless thee in all that thou doest."
I remember growing up on the farm there were several men who came through as hired farm hands. One man in particular we will call Bob. He worked for my uncle several times and was as hard working a man that you could want. The problem was the Bob loved alcohol. When he would get in trouble he would end up at my Aunt and Uncle's house to sober up and get back on the wagon so to speak. Bob was a great guy when he was sober. I only remember seeing him under the influence one time in my life when my Uncle and I went to get him and bring him to the house for a time of drying out.
Bob could work from sun up to sun down as hard as any man. I remember when there was a lull in the conversation Bob would say, "How 'boot that William?" Tragically, Bob's life ended in a benge for alcohol. He got so desperate that he drank rubbing alcohol. He laid on the floor and literally bled to death because of it. How sad.
My point today? In our text we are reminded of how to treat servants. This could be compared to our modern day employee/employer relationship. I often wonder as a servant of God, would He drive an awl through my ear at the end of six years. The answer to that brings doubt to my heart. I want to think that He would; but, I know me too well.
How about you friend? If you were God's servant would He drive an awl through your ear at the end of six years?
No comments:
Post a Comment