Today's reading: Joshua 24; Judges 1, 2; Psalm 13, 43, 73, 103, 133; Proverbs 13
Joshua 24:15-16, "And if it seem evil unto you to serve the LORD, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD. And the people answered and said, God forbid that we should forsake the LORD, to serve other gods;"
I love this passage of Scripture. I have knocked on many doors over the years that had verse 15 on the door. One would be led to believe that the people who lived there would be followers of Christ. Normally this is what you find. Ever once in a while you run across someone that you wonder why they put such an inscription on their door. I guess it was there when they bought the house or something.
The children of Israel had made a covenant with God that they would obey Him and serve Him. They also agreed that they would not worship the gods of the land they were in. I wish this had held true for all of history; but, it did not. Just a few verses and Israel is living their lives in such a way that God forbids.
This is just like you and I. We go to Church and we hear a great sermon and we make valuable decisions. Then Monday morning comes and it is dog eat dog and we let our grand decision from Sunday slip away from us. This should not be! I am just as guilty as the next person. Please don't think I am sitting high and mighty looking down my nose at others. I am sitting here acknowledging that I have failed miserably at this too. I wish I had not; but, I have.
Here is the main thing. When you sin do you confess the sin to God and get it covered by the blood of Jesus? I hope so. Then you can go on and live a life that pleases Him. Then you to can say as Joshua, "... but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD."
So, how are you doing?
No comments:
Post a Comment