Saturday, May 1, 2010

May 1, 2010

Today's reading: I Chronicles 17, 18, 19; Psalm 1, 31, 61, 91, 121; Proverbs 1

I Chronicles 19:3-4, "But the princes of the children of Ammon said to Hanun, Thinkest thou that David doth honour thy father, that he hath sent comforters unto thee? are not his servants come unto thee for to search, and to overthrow, and to spy out the land? Wherefore Hanun took David's servants, and shaved them, and cut off their garments in the midst hard by their buttocks, and sent them away."

I remember a number of years ago my wife and I attended a Church and I had the pleasure of teaching a Sunday School class. The class was a real joy to teach. I did have a couple students that would continually go to the Pastor and question him about something I said in class. Sometimes they would go to him about something that I did that they did not like. I remember every week I would go into the class and do my best and just let the chips fall where they may.

What is the reason for my trip down memory lane that appears to be not so pleasant? There is something that you and I need to realize. That is that sometimes we are misunderstood. It does not matter how hard we try to be genuine people will mistake what we are doing for the wrong thing.

In our passage, Hanun did a horrible thing to David's men. He did absolutely the most despicable thing to them that he could. He embarrassed them greatly. They could not help the fact that they were treated so horribly by this king. He received some bad counsel and I am sure he regretted it later.

Maybe you have been wronged by someone. What was your reaction? Was it vengeance? I hope that your reaction was one that would please the Lord. Mine do not always please Him and this hurts me greatly. I know it hurts Him greatly.

Maybe we should pray as the writer of Psalm 31:9, "Have mercy upon me, O LORD, for I am in trouble: mine eye is consumed with grief, yea, my soul and my belly." Here is a man that is so overwhelmed that it is effecting his whole life. It has him so upset that it even effects his belly. Have you ever been physically sick over they way you have been treated. I know that I have been and I am sure that I am not alone.

I hope the next time that you and I are wronged or misunderstood that our reaction will be to run to the Lord.

So how are you doing?

No comments:

Post a Comment