Monday, April 26, 2010

April 26, 2010

Today's reading: I Chronicles 2, 3, 4; Psalm 26, 56, 86, 116, 146; Proverbs 26

I Chronicles 4:9-10, "And Jabez was more honourable than his brethren: and his mother called his name Jabez, saying, Because I bare him with sorrow. And Jabez called on the God of Israel, saying, Oh that thou wouldest bless me indeed, and enlarge my coast, and that thine hand might be with me, and that thou wouldest keep me from evil, that it may not grieve me! And God granted him that which he requested."

Many of you have probably read the book, "The Prayer of Jabez". I know that I enjoyed reading the book. I hope that we have not read the book like the health, wealth and prosperity movement. There are those who think that they can command God and He will do as they say like some genie in a bottle. This is a gross error.

I wonder how many of us have spent time earnestly praying for some need recently. I know that I do not pray like I should. You would think that a guy who is unemployed would be like the Apostle John and be called "Camel Knees". No such adjectives here to my shame. Oh, if a relative were dying or some serious event had taken place we might get on our knees and throw up a prayer or two on behalf of the one in need. This ought not to be. We need to be fervent in prayer.

I like the rhetorical question in Psalm 116:12-14, "What shall I render unto the LORD for all his benefits toward me? I will take the cup of salvation, and call upon the name of the LORD. I will pay my vows unto the LORD now in the presence of all his people." The reason that I like this so much is there follows a laundry list so to speak of what we can do. These apply so well.

One thing we do not think about is to die to self. The Apostle Paul said that he died daily. Wow! I believe if we die to self then when we pray we will be in a right relationship with Jesus and our prayers can be answered. Look at Psalm 116:15, "Precious in the sight of the LORD is the death of his saints." I think this might have been a key in Jabez getting his prayer answered. He was walking with God in a right relationship with no known sin in his life and God mightily answered his prayer.

If I called you with a dire need could you get your prayers answered? Are you sure?

No comments:

Post a Comment