Tuesday, April 27, 2010

April 27, 2010

Today's reading: I Chronicles 5, 6, 7; Psalm 27, 57, 87, 117, 147; Proverbs 27

Proverbs 27:17, "Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend."

Our Scripture for today brings back many good memories. At a Church where we were once members they had a men's group called "Iron Man". It is based upon this verse of Scripture. I loved it. The group was basically an accountability group for the men. The entire group would meet once a month and have some type of activity like a cookout or go to a local pizza place.

Every week on an appointed day smaller groups of about four or five would meet at a location decided upon by it's members. The smaller groups is where the rubber would meet the road so to speak. The leader would go around the group and ask each man a list of five or seven different questions designed to cause each man to evaluate where he was in his walk with Christ. I loved it. Some men did not like it so much.

This was a good time for men to grow in the Lord. If you were not keeping up on reading your Bible daily then others would make loving suggestions to try to help each member succeed.

I liked the name "Iron Man". It reminded me of someone sharpening an axe. I have only done that once in my life; but, I have seen it done many times over. This memory would come back to mind often.

It still applies today. That is a major reason that I write this blog. I want to "sharpen" people if the Lord will use me to just that. That is my goal. This is not just an outlet to blow off steam to me. I hope that every time someone reads my offerings here they are challenged to draw nearer to God than they ever have before.

So friend, how are you doing?

No comments:

Post a Comment