Wednesday, April 28, 2010

April 28, 2010

Today's reading: I Chronicles 8, 9, 10; Psalm 28, 58, 88, 118, 148; Proverbs 28

I Chronicles 10:13-14, "So Saul died for his transgression which he committed against the LORD, even against the word of the LORD, which he kept not, and also for asking counsel of one that had a familiar spirit, to enquire of it; And enquired not of the LORD: therefore he slew him, and turned the kingdom unto David the son of Jesse."

So many people today think they can just live their lives with no consequences. This could not be further from the truth. Life is like a lake that is smooth. When you throw a rock into it you disrupt the smoothness of the water and ripples occur. They might be small or large depending upon the size of object that you throw into the water. One of my favorite pictures that I have taken over the years is a picture of a fishing (bobber)float in the water. I had been fishing the afternoon prior and my line had gotten caught on something. I did not dive into the water to see what I was caught on. I pulled and pulled but the line broke and there sat my bobber, bobbing up and down but not going anywhere. The next morning I went out to the same spot to try again. There it was. Yes, the bobber was still floating right where I had left it. The bobber stop had prevented it from floating away and it was still hooked on whatever had held it there the evening before. I took a few pictures of it and then got a heavier rod with heavier line. I threw it out just past the trapped bobber and began to reel in. I caught the line and began to reel. Sure enough I was able to bring it in: hook, line and sinker.

The point of my rambling today? No matter what we do it will have an effect of some kind. In our day it has become a big thing to "pay it forward". You know, do something nice for someone who will do something nice for someone who will do something nice for someone, etc...

Saul met death at this particular time in his life the Bible tells us because of his disobedience. Numbers 32:23 says, "But if ye will not do so, behold, ye have sinned against the LORD: and be sure your sin will find you out." Obedience could be a life saver.

On the positive side of this look at Proverbs 28:27, "He that giveth unto the poor shall not lack: but he that hideth his eyes shall have many a curse." We see that obedience is rewarded. The choice is up to us as to whether we obey or disobey. I wish I always chose to obey. My life would be so much better if I would just be obedient to what I know to be right. How about you? I bet we are the same in that area.

So how is your obedience?

No comments:

Post a Comment